Gavin S. Barney
Gavin Barney is an Oakland, California native and a dedicated advocate for workers and injured people. He attended U.C. Berkeley School of Law, where he earned a J.D. and was included in the school’s Public Interest and Pro Bono Graduation in 2016.
While a student, Gavin was an executive editor of the Berkeley Journal of Employment and Labor Law (BJELL), and a student director for the Workers Rights Disability Law Clinic, where he helped provide free legal services to low income workers with disabilities or serious injuries.
After law school, Gavin moved to Portland, Oregon, where he practiced in plaintiff-side employment law – including at the Northwest Workers’ Justice Project – for a little over a year. He moved back to his home town in 2018 to join Hildebrand, McLeod & Nelson. There Gavin will continue to represent and work to bring justice to injured railroad workers and others in Oregon, Washington, California, and the western states.
Areas Of Practice
- FELA Injury Claims
- Passenger Rail: Collisions & Accidents
- Railroad Whistleblower & Retaliation
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, Berkeley, California
Honors: Labor Law (BJELL) Honors: Student Director for the Workers Rights Disability Law Clinic
- University of California, Santa Cruz, California
Honors: cum laude Honors: Honors in the Major and Honors in Oakes College Major: History
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Oregon Trial Lawyers’ Association (OTLA)
- Alameda Contra Costa Trial Lawyers’ Association (ACCTLA)
- Academy of Rail Labor Attorneys (ARLA)